SNAP Fraud Detection Alert
>> Read more

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits help to raise the nutrition level in zero- and low-income households. Each month, your SNAP benefits will load automatically onto an electronic benefit transfer (EBT) card called the Ohio Direction Card. You use the same card every month to buy groceries at participating stores.

SNAP benefits cannot be used to purchase the following:

  • Alcohol
  • Tobacco
  • Prepared hot foods or meals “to-go” that will be eaten immediately
  • Non-food items

The Ohio Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) system has replaced food-stamp coupons with the Ohio Direction Card, an electronic debit card. The card is safe because no one can use it without your four-digit PIN.     

Low-income households may be eligible to receive the Ohio Direction Card. Many disabled or elderly individuals may also be eligible.

Households are people who live together and purchase and eat most of their meals together. A household can be one person, a family, or a group of unrelated people. The amount of benefits a household receives depends on household size, combined monthly income, shelter expenses, child care, and some medical expenses (for those 60 and older or disabled).

How to Apply

Once you have completed, signed, and dated the application, you can submit it online via the link below, fax it to 1.866.351.8292 (toll-free), mail it to 1180 S. Main Street, Suite 102, Akron, OH 44301-1256, or bring it in. You must have an initial interview to determine your eligibility.


  • Social Security number
  • Photo identification
  • Alien registration card (if not a U.S. citizen)
  • Proof of income
  • Proof of shelter costs (rent or mortgage, utility bills, homeowner’s insurance, property taxes, condo fees, second mortgages)
  • Childcare expenses
  • Child support paid to someone not living in the household
  • Child support received
  • Proof of disability, if claimed
  • Medical bills (for those 60 and older, or disabled)

If you qualify, you will be assigned a case manager who will help you understand how SNAP benefits work and how to get started.

What if my EBT card is lost or stolen?

Call customer service at 866.386.3071, and a replacement card will be mailed to you within 7-10 business days.

How do I check my EBT card balance?

Each time you use your card, you get a receipt that shows the amount of food-assistance benefits you have left. You can also visit or call customer service at 866.368.3071.

What do I do if I have a power outage or food loss?

If you are a SNAP recipient and your household has experienced a misfortune (such as a fire or flood, or a power outage lasting more than four hours) that results in a loss of food, you may be eligible for SNAP replacement benefits.

Income Guidelines for Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)

Based on 130% of the Federal Poverty Level

Family Size Maximum Gross Monthly Income Maximum Monthly Allotment
1 1,580 291
2 2,137 535
3 2,694 766
4 3,250 973
5 3,807 1,155
6 4,364 1,386


Apply Online Now  or  Complete an Application  or  Upload Documents

Nondiscrimination Statement